When the wiring system in your home is not up to date, it can be very inconvenient for everyone living in your household. If your home needs rewiring, many issues can occur, including dimming lights, blown fuses, electrical fires and tripping circuit breakers. Here are a few common signs that you may need to rewire your house in Carthage, NC.
Your Lights Dim or Flicker
Dimming or flickering lights occurs when there are power fluctuations in your home’s electrical system. Too much voltage can cause your lights to brighten, while a drop in voltage can cause your lights to dim. A few different things can cause this malfunction, including loose wiring and faulty circuits.
The Circuit Breaker Trips Often
A circuit breaker will trip when a circuit is receiving more energy than it’s designed to handle. When circuit breakers begin to trip more often than usual, this could be a sign that there are issues within your home’s wiring.
You Notice a Burning Smell
Faulty wiring near an electrical outlet causes sparks that burn the outlet itself, causing a faint smell of burning plastic that will not just negatively affect your home’s indoor air quality. This can be extremely dangerous due to the fact that these sparks could eventually set off an electrical fire.
You Have an Old, Outdated Wiring System
If the wiring system in your home is 40 or more years old, it is very likely that you have out-of-date wiring. Very old wiring may not have insulation, so it comes with the risk of electrical fires. Older outlets are typically not grounded, which means that your electronics are vulnerable to power surges.
Electrical issues due to faulty wiring can be extremely dangerous and can put your entire family at risk. To avoid these hazardous situations, contact us at Sandhills Heating, Refrigeration & Electrical for electrical services you can rely on.
Image provided by iStock